Tuesday Night Track
CVRR Tuesday Training Sessions from February 2nd – April 27th , 2021
Welcome all CVRR runners. We are now into the mid-winter/early spring training phase. The following posted workouts will continue to emphasize strength endurance (marathon pace runs, tempo run and longer hill circuits (7.5=8.5/10 effort) and aerobic power (5km race pace intervals at 9/10 effort range). Repetition paced workouts are also included (hill running, strides and faster track running 9.5/10 effort) to develop speed and good running mechanics. Please do an easy 10-minute warm-up run with some dynamic drills. Always do an easy cooldown run after the session and do not forget your reflective running gear/ light. Although formal group training sessions are currently suspended until further notice due to Covid 19 safety protocol, please feel free to follow the suggested workouts on your own and modify where you feel necessary (workout, location, etc.). Please email me with any training questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Above all train smart, stay safe and enjoy!
- February 2nd: Road Tempo runs on Vanier circuit: 15-minute Threshold run; 5 minutes rest; 10-minute Threshold run (comfortably hard pace at 8.5/10 effort). 4 x 15 second strides with 45 second rest between
- February 9th : Track or Road Intervals: 2-5 x 3 minutes at 5 km race pace (9/10 effort) off a 2-minute jog between. Focus on relaxed but strong running!
- February 16th : Tempo & hills: 15 min road tempo (8.5/10 effort); 2-8 x 30 second hills (9-9.5/10 effort) with a walk down for recovery. (Vanier School road and hill).
- February 23rd : Strength endurance hill circuit with 3 efforts per circuit. (1.3 km per loop) 1-5 loops at Tempo/Marathon Pace with pick-ups (7.5-8.5/10 effort).
- March 2nd : Track or Road Session: (Pyramid) Counting steps at Tempo-Interval pace (15k-5k race pace). (8-9/10 effort). Example: 10 steps easy, 10 hard, 20 easy, 20 hard up to 100 steps and then back down to 10 steps again.
- March 9th : Glacier Road Cruise Intervals at Threshold pace (8.5/10 effort): 2-5 x 1200 metres off 1-2 minutes rest or 2-5 x 5 minutes (elsewhere) off 1-2 minutes.
- March 16th : Strength endurance hill circuit with 3 efforts per circuit. (1.3 km per loop) 1-5 loops at Tempo/Marathon Pace with pick-ups (7.5-8.5/10 effort).
- March 23rd : Track or Road Intervals: 2-4 x 4 minutes with 3-minute recovery jogs; (9/10 effort or 5k race pace). Do not strain on these efforts!
- March 30th : Vanier School 20-minute Road Temp run (8.5/10 effort) Start at beginning of driveway near Headquarters and to roundabout and return) 4 x 150 metre strides on track or road off 45 seconds or more. Not full out in pace!
- April 6 th : Horse Trails Fartlek: 1, 2, 3, 5, 3, 2 and 1 minute at a good effort (8- 9.5/10 effort) off 1 minute recovery jogs between. Pace yourself carefully!
- April 13th : Blooming Barn (Dove Creek Loop) Progressive Run: 10 minutes 7.5/10 effort; 10 minutes 8/10 effort; 10 minutes 8.5-9/10 effort; 4 x 15 second strides.
- April 20th : 2-5 x 800 metres on track at 5k race pace (9/10 effort) off 2-3 minutes rest or 3-6 x 2 minutes on road or track (9/10 effort) off 1 minute jogs.
- April 27th : Horse Trails Fartlek: 2 x 90 seconds off 90 seconds’ rest between; 4 x 60 seconds with 60 sec. rest; 4 x 30 sec. with 30 sec. rest; 4 x 15 sec. with 15 sec. rests