Elk/Beaver Lakes Ultras

Taken a road trip for a race or a run? Let us know how it went!

Moderator: Kiwi Keith

Elk/Beaver Lakes Ultras

Postby Kiwi Keith » Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Result: 50 Miler DNF

I pulled out at 60k due to my psoas seizing up.
Everything was going well in the first half getting to 40k in 3:12 only 2 minutes down on preferred pace. The marathon mark was 3:20 and I was averaging 47 to 48 minutes per lap as per the plan. It felt very good. Then around 45k the psoas starting giving me trouble. The pace slowed as range of motion was compromised. I got to 50 k in 4:05 but the writing was on the wall. I continued into the sixth lap all the while getting tighter and tighter. By now the lower back was also giving me grief. Around 55k I walked for the first time and then decided it wasn't worth finishing the race. I managed to jog/walk to the end of the lap and removed my bib number.
The positives: no bonking or cramps, no blood in urine after, got in a good marathon before experiencing the problems, conditions were perfect, toe and forefoot pain was at a minimum.
Pretty much a good training run for Kneeknacker.
I now know what I have to work on for next year. Clay got me to the point where I was no longer having any nerve pain while training and I got to the marathon before it started, so that's definitely progress. I need to strengthen the psoas muscles and probably the hip flexors as well. I wasn't ready to race a 50 miler so soon after treating the injury, but I didn't know that until I tried.
I will keep moving forward. I'm not disappointed.
"Aint nothin gonna breaka my stride, I'm running and I won't touch ground, oh no I've got to keep on movin."
Kiwi Keith

Re: Elk/Beaver Lakes Ultras

Postby WayneC » Sat May 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Well done Kiwi. It is these kind of races that make us stronger. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Doc
FIFTY, THE NEW 26.2
WayneC

Re: Elk/Beaver Lakes Ultras

Postby Kiwi Keith » Sun May 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Just clearing up a technicality. My time of 3:12 was actually at the 40.47 mark as we ran 470 meters at the beginning of the race before heading out on the 10k loops. So technically my halfway split was more like 3:10, exactly what I was hoping for.
"Aint nothin gonna breaka my stride, I'm running and I won't touch ground, oh no I've got to keep on movin."
Kiwi Keith

Return to Race Reports