Vancouver BMO Marathon 2016

Taken a road trip for a race or a run? Let us know how it went!

Moderator: Kiwi Keith

Vancouver BMO Marathon 2016

Postby WayneC » Mon May 02, 2016 8:02 am

The following post is thanks to Mike Bridges.

Well I was looking for great things in Vancouver. By Saturday my quads had felt like they had recovered from snow to surf ( I could walk without pain) However on Thursday at work I injured my calf and bruised it to the point were it hurt to touch and could definitely feel it when I ran on it. I was hoping it would heal up in time. Saturday evening Danny and myself did a 4k shake out. Legs felt okay except for that damn calf. Had a good meal got to bed by 9:30 and slept until 4am then woke up with a bit of a stomach ache. Had a banana and tossed and turned waiting for the alarm. At 6am had 2 advil and at 7 2 tylenol to help with the leg. At the start of the race I was ready to go felt okay, no issues except my stomach. I felt like I had a cramp or stitch. The gun goes off and I am right behind Danny who was in the elite corral. :twisted: I had a good feel for the course as we drove it the night before. I knew the 1st k would be off our 4:04 pace as it was up hill. I thought it would be a bit of a quick start but with that uphill we would be at around 4;07 or slightly slower. We go through the 1st k 3:57, a little quick but thats okay. k #2 3:51, to fast but it is down hill so no problem. I will settle in pretty quick. 3:53, still to fast but I rationalize it. I felt fine, there's lots of down hill. 3:59, then 3:52 I go through 5k in 19:28. I am not worried. I feel good, noting hurts. My guts are still giving me some grief but I just don't think about it. Then I do a 3:49 then 3:45. Okay I am not following my plan but just keep going with it as I know there is a big long hill coming. k #8 3:54. Now I hit the bottom of the 1300m plus climb. I do a 4:06, then a 4:29. I am at 10k still climbing and I am at 40:00 My stomach no longer bothers me. I am now done climbing and finish k 11 with a 4:09. I see Danny's nemesis Dave Stevens about 100m ahead with 3 other guys. I try to close the gap so that I don't have to run alone. 3:55, 3:59, 3:56, 4:06. I hit 15k in just under 60:00. I have gained a little but the gap is still 70m. Now I have felt my gluteus starting to tighten up since 13k but I tell myself just relax and keep running. I do k 16 in 3:57, then 4:05. Now three guys pass me. I am starting to lose them so I focus on this down hill and stay right with then and tuck in with them. 4:02, 4:02 3:46 3:54 We go through the half in just under 1:24:30. My gluteus are getting tight now but I just try to keep working. 4:02, 3:57, 4:29. That's it! :( I lost then on that last hill. I try to keep with them 4:04 but it isn't going to happen k26 4:19 4:20, 4:11 I am starting to get passed. Catrin Jones goes by me. I should have ran with her from the start. To late now. 4:25, now I am on the Bridge. 4:45, I hit 30k in 2:03 flat. I quickly do the math. If I run the last 12k at 4:00 pace I will be able to hit 2:50 high, with a little kick at the end. My gluteus are getting tighter but the real problem is I can really start to feel the build up of lactate acid. 4:22, 4:38. Okay 10k to go, time to reevaluate. If I run 4:30 pace I can still do a 2:56. 4:39, 4:32. 8k to go 8 times 4:30 is 36 mins. Okay sub 3 no problem, lots in the bank, just keep going. :twisted: The lactate acid is really weighing my legs down. :shock: They are like bricks. 4:37, 4:37. :shock: 6k to go. 6 times 5 is 30 min. Okay I can't run that slow and be under 3 hrs. I am almost there. 4:33, ok thats good 4:41 thats bad. 4k, so damn close. More people passing me. :( These people are gunning for sub 3, stay with them! 4;38, 4:35. I got this. I just have to maintain this pathetic pace for 2 k. 4:46. I can't believe this. Only 1k to go. I need to do a 4:45 and I can hardly climb this tiny hill. I am almost walking. Mt legs are loaded with lactate acid and they wont move. I see the finish!! Just catch that guy! I hear the announcer saying how close we are, but I have no kick. Nothing. :( Ten seconds, nine , eight. I am not going to do it! I "blaze" a 4:55 and end up at 3:00:18. I cross the line. the guy in front of me just made it but he is helped into a wheelchair. As I wait for Danny several more people are helped into wheelchairs. I feel okay. Danny arrives and I try to walk and all of a sudden my arches are killing me and I have to hobble back to the hotel. Better luck next time. And maybe I will stick with the plan, I doubt it. :?

Mike Bridges.
FIFTY, THE NEW 26.2
WayneC

Re: Vancouver BMO Marathon 2016

Postby CGP » Mon May 02, 2016 10:10 am

Well it was a great attempt, considering some concerns before the race.
Bin dere dundat so many time myself.
[b]A cure for cancer[/b]; OA, AIDS: hepatitis A, B, & C; for diabetes, ALS, MS, the common cold, no wars in the Middle East, a change of B.C. Govt, cure for bipolar disorder...praying that Trump is never U.S. president. I'll be a happy poster here!! :)
CGP

Re: Vancouver BMO Marathon 2016

Postby WayneC » Sun May 15, 2016 7:26 am

It often takes us a while to learn the lessons of the marathon. It will happen for you for sure Mike. Make sure that you give yourself a bit of a break before getting back into any hard training. Lots of time to build for Chicago.
Doc
FIFTY, THE NEW 26.2
WayneC

Return to Race Reports